Sunday, November 18, 2007

It finally happened...

I knew it was coming, but kept hoping I could avoid it...but no, I finally droppped my flashlight down the latrine. I peered down the 15 ft hole in the ground and could see the light faintly flickering away before dying out completely. Another possession lost to the evil latrine, alas.
In happier news, Thanksgiving is coming up and we're planning a big dinner as close to the American tradition as possible. Its a little tricky in a country without cranberries or apple pie, but I think it should turn out pretty well. My group is in charge of stuffing, and considering bread goes stale here in about 20 minutes, getting breadcrumbs to make it from scratch shouldnt be too difficult.
The longer I am here though, the more I realize I'm really going to miss my host family when I leave at the end of training to go to my permanent site. My mother and father are incredible and have made my time here so much easier than it would have been otherwise. My little sister and girl cousins and I had a little dancing session the other night, frolicking around my courtyard in the lamplight while they sang. Its amazing how much you can communicate wiithout actually speaking the same language. Now of course after the flashlight incident, they think I'm an idiot, but they've been nice enough to only laugh at me a little bit for it.I managed to take this picture while I was biking, so ignore the slight blurriness. Women here carry everything on their heads, its very impressive. I can now manage a bucket of water, but thats about it, and these ladies will have anything from their lunches to a 30 lbs saxk of rice perched on top of their heads, and walk miles like that.
This is part of the road between my home village of Rikou and the larger city of Ouhigouya where we have class sometimes. When we first arrived, this section was entirely flooded about thigh deep at points and fording it was a little too exciting. Now its mostly just muddy...
Mom requested more pics of me, so here you go. behind me is the booming metropolis of Rikou.
The mosque in Rikou, right next to my house.

2 comments:

Ellyn said...

You look fabulous! :) Miss you.
Love, Ellyn

Shirley said...

Oh Morgon....Sorry for laughing about the flashlight vs latrine story....My thoughts? I think I might prefer NOT to see what may be lurking within the bowels of said latrine!

What great photos....I've only known you a short time, but I can say without hesitation that the smile I see on your face and the sparkle in your eyes in just these few photos alone speaks a thousand words...You are truly of a giving nature and the pleasure received is written all over your face....Promise never to change.

Take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving...can't wait to hear more from you....

Love you,
Shirley

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps