Saturday, July 5, 2008

Feeding Babies

Tomorrow is the last day of the Hearth Model program I've been working on over the past weeks, so I thought I'd give everyone at home a quick look at what's going on with that. I've mentioned it before, but essentially I've been meeting each morning with a group of 12 mothers and their malnourished infants. We prepare an enriched porridge together, feed the kids, and then do some health education stuff. Topics have focused a lot on nutrition, and how to use cheap local ingredients to provide for their children. We also covered hygiene, childhood illnesses, family planning, and other applicable health issues, all of which are tied in together when it comes to malnutrition and general health. Particularly with food prices skyrocketing all over the world right now, it was answering a really large need in the community. Without further ado, pictures!

My ladies preparing the morning porridge. Seeing as it's mango season and a lot of the kids dont get nearly enough fruits and veggies, this porridge has fresh mangos, corn flour, and peanut powder. It was the babies' favorite and one mom even asked me if was ok for her to eat it too.

My neighbor Cory from a village nearby came and helped out for the day, resulting in lots of pictures of me looking a little peeved. And shiny, apparently (hey, its a long bike ride for me to get there).
Cute little Ibrahim. I've kind of forgotten what healthy fat babies look like, because so few here are well-nourished. Hopefully during my follow-up over the next couple months, I'll see kids like Ibrahim put on some weight and get some more energy. Tomorrow is the final weighing, so I'll be able to see how much progress was made during the past couple weeks. Several moms have already commented that their kids have bigger appetites now, more energy, and feel heavier when they lift them up, so that's encouraging.

Arrival back at home at the end of the morning. I took advantage of having Cory there to take a little family portrait, minus my host parents who were in the fields at the time. Baby Abbas (with weird makeup on that day), neighbor kid Brah who needs a new shirt, little bro Aziz and sister Safiatou. Big happy sweaty family.

3 comments:

ned said...

Hello Morgan- You really glisten! Any directions for all of us who want to help pay for the garden you're planning for the mothers and children who are malnourished? Love, Kevin

Ellyn said...

Amazing project and awesome photos! How lucky these mothers and children are to have you advocating for them! Love, Ellyn

Ashley said...

Morgan,

This is Ashley. I was the first Tin volunteer and came across your blog. This is the coolest thing ever. I want to help if I can. I'm part of the FBF group of RPCVs. I would love to talk to you, email you. This blog is the coolest thing ever. I have no idea how you do it. Please tell everyone hello for me. Koné and his family is your host family right? Salut to all of your neighbors who were mine once too. There are a few little ones that I recognize in the pictures, many that I don't. I can tell the bike mechanic's kids anywhere with those chubby cheeks. BF has been in the newspaper here about food shortages, so I know it must be really bad. Please tell me more about the CREN garden and any other projects you are working on. I would love to help!
ashleyinburkina@yahoo.com is my email, although I know how precious internet time is.
Keep up the excellent work on that rollercoaster. It's not easy, but you will love it forever!

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps